|Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting and Swiss Meringue Buttercream with home-made fondant|
Kids love buttercream icing which I covered in the last blog. Buttercream can be flavoured with different kind of essence or add pureed fruit like strawberries. ( Fruit in India should be washed really nicely and cooked in a sugar syrup before you puree it).Adults prefer Chocolate Frostings which would be a Ganache, Chocolate Buttercream or frosting.
|Devil Food Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream filling along with Chocolate Ganache and Fondant flowers|
I am opening my Larousse as I write this blog under frosting it says “See icing”. Definition : A preparation of icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) used to coat pastries,cakes and confectionery of all kinds.
Recipe: Chocolate Ganache
1 part Cooking Chocolate ( In India use Morde)
2 part Cream ( Richs is a Whip Topping Dairy Free Cream available in India; no mother diary cream )
- Everything should be at room temperature. Warm the water in the vessel which will be used as a double boiler. (Basically a large vessel with water which can take in another smaller vessel)
- Break the chocolate into really small pieces.
- Warm the cream; don’t allow it to boil in the double boiler.
- Pour the cream into the broken chocolate allow it to rest for 1 minute and then stir the continuously till it forms a smooth paste.
- Allow it too cool before frosting your cupcakes.
- The method is exactly the same.
- Dip your cupcakes in warm frosting to get a smooth chocolate finish.
- Add more cream to make it more liquidity if you want to pour on top a cake.
- Let it cool completely before you pipe the frosting.