|Custard Sponge with Vanilla Buttercream filling and frosting along with fondant decoration
My 1st Birthday
This is my kids favourite recipe and my friend Rabani loves it’s a Custard Sponge with Vanilla Buttercream Icing. This cake is super easy if you have a free standing mixer.
Recipe : Custard Sponge
200gm plain flour
3 tbsp Custard Powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda-bicarbonate
225gm soft butter
2-3 tbsp milk
- Make sure everything is at room temperature before you start. As this will effect the the quality of your sponge.Preheat the oven to 180 degree C and line your tin ideally two 20cm sandwich tins. I used 2 loaf tins to make the number 1.
- Put all the ingredients into your Kitchen Aid except the milk. Process into a smooth batter and then add the milk tablespoon at a time to make a soft dropping consistency.
- Bake the cake for 20 minutes or till it is smooth on your tester.
- Let it cool on the rack for 5 minutes and then turn them out.
- The cake should be cool for 3-4 hours before you start icing the cake.
- Add 1/4 cup hot water when the batter is ready for a more spongy cake.
- The cake can be placed in the fridge if you want to ice the cake sooner.
Recipe :Vanilla Buttercream Icing:
- 110gm unsalted butter at room temperature
- 60ml skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500gm icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops food colouring
- In a large bowl add butter, milk,vanilla and 1/2 the amount of icing sugar.
- Beat all the ingredients till get a smooth mixture;gradually add the remaining icing sugar till the buttercream is smooth and creamy.
- Add the food colouring very slowly. Use gel food colouring from Wilton.